The WBA has several committees that are vital to the organization and fall into three categories: standing committees, special committees and event committees. It is our desire to have members of the legal community from diverse backgrounds to chair and sit on these committees. Committee chairs do not have to be board members but all committee members must join the WBA. If you would like to become a member of one of our committees please contact, President Karen E. Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ollie May Cooper:
Constitution and Bylaws Committee:
Student Affairs Committee:
- The objective of the Student Affairs Committee is to develop and coordinate WBA's services for its law student members. The committee will coordinate the Annual Career Fair; work with the Washington Bar Association Educational Foundation to identify topics for the Charles Hamilton Houston Scholarship (CHHS) and the Chief Judge Eugene Hamilton Scholarship (CJEHS), and select CHHS and CJESH scholar recipients. The committee will also establish and administer a mentor/mentee program.
Annual Law Day Dinner:
Annual Meeting Committee:
Judicial Nominations/Endorsements Committee:
Legislative and Policy Committee:
- This committee will develop and implement initiatives relating to local and national legislative and judicial processes. Inform the WBA Board and membership regarding developments in policy, law and practices, and recommend WBA responses to such developments, including public education and press campaigns.
- Nicole Austin-Hillery will chair this committee.
Public Service Committee:
- This committee will develop, coordinate, and implement WBA's outreach effort to the D.C. African American community; educate the community about its legal rights and responsibilities, through activities including Constitution Day and the D.C. Attorney General Forum. Work with the WBA Young Lawyers Division and existing legal organizations, community organizations and governmental agencies serving African Americans in the D.C. area to the extent possible.
- Felicia Chambers will chair the committee. Robert Bell will assist.