WBA Upcoming Events
DC Refers was created to increase access to justice for people of modest means in the District of Columbia. Many people in the District of Columbia earn too much to qualify for free legal services from pro bono lawyers or nonprofit legal aid providers, but do not earn enough to afford the rates that most lawyers charge for their services. People whose income falls between 200-400% of the federal poverty guidelines often have limited or no option to obtain legal assistance. We seek to fill that justice gap.
DC Refers invites lawyers with at least two years of experience in their practice area to apply to join our online directory of reduced fee lawyers. Attorneys who join our directory are not required to accept any particular client referral. But if they do accept a client who qualifies for a reduced rate, the lawyer may not charge the client more than $150 per hour. Of course, clients who do not qualify for a reduced rate may be charged the attorney’s normal rate.
If you know someone who would benefit from our services, please share our fliers in English or Spanish.
To learn more about DC Refers or join our directory visit our website https://dcrefers.org/ or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Linkedin,
Job and Mentorship Opportunities
The Washington Bar Association, Inc. (WBA) is pleased to share the following opportunities, and we encourage you to share this information with others who may be interested.
- Executive Director – Kirwan Institute for Study of Race and Ethnicity
- Various Positions – Legal Aid Society of DC
- Various Positions – DC Dep’t of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
- Clinical Teaching Fellows (Various Positions) – University of Baltimore, School of Law
- Staff Attorney – National Employment Law Project
- Associate General Counsel, Policy – Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Staff Attorney – Neighborhood Legal Services Program of DC
- Multiple Attorney Position – Ayuda
- Staff Attorney, Housing Law Unit – Legal Aid Society of DC
- Director – Immigrant Rights Clinic – University of Baltimore
- Various Attorney Positions – NVRDC
- Summer Law Clerk – First Shift
- Staff Attorney – Georgetown University Health Justice Alliance
- Immigration Judge – Department of Justice
- Summer Law Associate – Burr Law Firm
- Housing Justice Counsel – The Washington Lawyers’ Committee
- Housing Justice Organizer – The Washington Lawyers’ Committee
- Managing Attorney – UDC Law Clinical Program
- 2022 Congressional Fellowship Program
- Legislative Counsel – Office of Councilmember McDuffie
- Various Positions – Department of Health and Human Services
- Various Positions – Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Various Positions – DC Office of Attorney General
- Street Law Graduate Teaching Fellowship – Georgetown University Law Center
- Assistant Dean for Career Services – Howard University Law Center
- D.C. Office of the Attorney General Social Justice Section – Housing Enforcement Trial Attorney
- Covington – Pro Bono Attorney
- Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia – Various Positions
MAKE A DIFFERENCE. DONATE NOW!
Every donation – no matter the amount – is extremely valuable to the Washington Bar Association. Your contribution will help the WBA support professional development and address the related needs of Black lawyers in the District of Columbia, while furthering our commitment to social justice and advocacy efforts on behalf of the Black community.